Millon Lacrosse Tips: Stick Protection to Ground Balls
Tip # 6
We got a collection of skills that most great defensemen seem to possess. Following these tips will make you a much more well-rounded lacrosse player!
- When going into a one on play (and for good team defense), keep excellent body position.
- When playing one on one, get into your athletic stance. Make sure you have your hips between your man and the goal at all times. Shuffle your feet, but do not cross them when moving!
- Study your opponents. Learn their weaknesses. The more you know their weaknesses, the more you can exploit them.
- Keep control of your slides. Slide body on body.
- As with any sport, communication makes all the difference. Make sure your team is all on the same page: who has the ball, who has slide, etc.
- Take pride in the little things. Don’t be afraid to go after the ground balls and take the role of offense!
- Confidence plays a huge role in lacrosse. Know that you will win!
Ground balls win games, but you can help that! Here’s some tips to make you the immovable wall to ground balls:
- Follow this simple technique: Position yourself to be close to the ground and directly between the ball and the attacker. Keep the hand down that’s closest to the bottom of your stick, and explode through the ball. Immediately cradle and tuck your stick. Pass right away if you can; otherwise, just run away from the pressure.
- Don’t ignore loose balls…go for them! The truth is the person who gets the ball is the person who wants it the most. Depending on your skill level, ground balls can keep you on the field, so make sure you practice.
Stick Protection: You MUST have proper technique! Here are some helpful tips:
- On the arm you carry your stick with, cradle it vertically and always keep your elbow locked. Keep the tip of your stick as high as possible, while still comfortable. But keep your elbow about 4 inches or less from ribs. Don’t swing your arm!
- Your unused arm should be kept in a comfortable position, yet still protecting!
- Do not run in straight lines! Run in and out accordingly.
- Keep your head up!!!!!!
- Your goal should be to stay between the defender and your stick.